Monday, June 13

Upon leaving my building on campus and the four minutes it takes to make my way underground, I feel (and look) as if I worked out in a gym with no air conditioning, in Louisianna with 95% humidity. Arriving "fresh" to work is not an option. The trek uptown late in the evenings isn't nearly as bad, and the captivating fragrance wafts from the blooming magnolia trees make my morning "workout" worthwhile. I've decided the sky is pinker on the east coast... maybe the grey tones from all the sludge in the air saturate the UV... stunning whatever the cause may be. I never thought I'd say the sun setting over the Hudson is a magical sight, but here I stand.... (sit). Nothing beats the majesties in the Big Sky, but the cityscape has its own sense of bewilderment... it has put a spell on me.

Columbia is an enchanting campus... I feel as though each building is a museum. I pass by Philosophy Hall each day where one of my favorite French sculptors famous fellows sits... a casting of Rodin's "The Thinker" watches over the walkway, just thinking the days away...
Original Rodin in Paris, January 2010
Whelp, I've got week numero uno at People magazine under my belt... in a nutshell, it's fabulous! Average day goes a little somethin' like this: wake up to the sound of not so distant asphalt drills and the clanging of steel... a 15-20 minute commute from Harlem to Midtown with a quick stop for my morning-must-have: triple americano... morning staff meeting on the 30th floor of the Time Inc. building begins at 10 a.m. where we view and discuss, usually with much sarcasm, photos and current events happening with people. Mostly famous people. Mostly pretty people. Though the sarcasm heightens when the famous people act not so pretty. Case in point: a large percentage of people were not a fan of Frances McDermott's get-up at the Tony's last night... though I find it somewhat refreshing. I mean, she only lives a few blocks away from the Beacon Theater... maybe she took a pre-game nap, slept through her alarm and ran down to accept her award... at least she showed up with clothes on.
WTF Fran?!
Besides the celeb gossip, smashed photos and gravy, my most recent assignment involves studying food photographers and prop stylists, and compiling mini "style portfolios" to reference for future photo shoots. Of course I have LOVED this jobber not only for my passionate love affair with cuisine, but I LOVE the styling aspect... potential calling? We'll see... I wish my breakfast table looked like this... simply lovely.
Photo by Ngoc Minh Ngo
What better way to celebrate a normal-hour, five-days-a-week office job than big hats and betting? To the Belmont Stakes I ventured with some newly acquired friendlies. Long Island is a drag this time of year... well, this year at least. Our parade was not to be rained on... instead we rallied from 9 in the marning to 3 in the... marning. Yes, the day was eventful, the night was dance-full, but the next morning... dreadful. I don't think I can muster another pony race for at least another 365 days.
It's all about the hat...
One of my new habits is getting off the cross town bus around 75th street and moseying up Broadway to take in the sights (and in yesterdays case, blow the stink off). I am completely occupied and entertained by the people passing by... this woman and her hipster kicks made my day. I insisted she and her hubby get off the bus before me and to my delight, she was rockin' the Nikes. Happy Monday!
You go gram.

No comments:

Post a Comment