Tuesday, June 7

On my 6th birthday,  I stood in the middle of an obnoxiously loud group of guests and demanded their attention by yelling, "people, People, PEOPLE!" It must have been an omen, because 21 years later, I stand in front of the Time & Life building, yelling "people, People, PEOPLE!" Much less annoyed, much more exuberant.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to work at a magazine in New York City. I obviously honed in some psychic powers when I was half a dozen years young, because I somehow managed to find myself brushing shoulders with some seriously talented peeps. Day #1 on the j-o-b: met the editors, my creative director and 40 other people who's names I'll never remember.  My desk is intermixed with the IPad designers, a bunch of laid back dudes whom I already get along swimmingly with. There is one photo intern, four editorial interns and I am the lone art intern, though after a chat today, I may have the opportunity to jump into editorial as well... best of both. Fantastic for me! More attention+more work+more critiques=more success. Unfortunately I'm forced to look at stuff like this all day...

Mondays slightly resemble a dog and pony show, as it is the closing day for print issues and Tuesday is closing day for Ipad issues. Great time to jump right in... I literally heard people saying, "I'll do the Olsen Twin's if you want..." and "make sure Kate Bosworth's right eye is... right!"  It's cool to watch ideas being planted, grow and bloom in 6 days- crazy turn around!

Funniest part of my day was riding down the elevator with a fabulous man who screamed, "Can you BA-LIEVE Weiner Man?!?!" "Ehhh, to which weiner man are you refering?" "Only the New York Congressman, ha-llo!" I definitely need to brush up on my current events, and pretend to be deeply saddened or ridiculously overjoyed depending on whether or not Snookie gets her drivers license back...

Stopped for groceries at Fairways on 75th and Broadway and walked up to 116th to stretch the legs... best people watching ever... I heard a lot of Yiddish, dodged a midget on a bicycle wearing a cowboy hat hollering yee-haw and followed two men with matching pastel polos, hand in hand strolling leisurely and discussing in depth, the free range chicken salad they shared for lunch... "It must have been tarragon! I can't imagine what else it may have been? And those grapes, lord those grapes were di-vine! ...Should we share a cupcake? Yes, let's go get a cupcake, cupcake."

1 comment: