Sunday, June 5

Who knew a straw fedora would be just the ticket? My welcome wagon took me out on the town 3 minutes after I landed... nothing like hitting the ground running. We walked into a Sperry Top Sider commercial... khaki pleats, woven leather belts and polos were stumbling everywhere. I found Steven Tyler's well-fed brother leading a 90's cover band at Session 73. And he took a liking to my hat. So much so that he stopped mid-song to tell me. His red pleather pants with lacing stripes were a sight. Yes lacing. No he was not fast. Just sweaty. And fancy. Upon exiting the establishment, he requested the blonde in the straw hat join him on stage for a duet/dance-off to Sir Elton John.  I couldn't disappoint royalty & proceeded to exemplify the quintessential oxymoron by belting "Tiny Dancer" while hitting my head on the ceiling with every plie'. On to Guido Land... another man cave that smelled like dirty money and hair gel. Before we knew it 4 a.m. rolled around and we raced home. Literally, we ran. I suppose my first 6 hours in the city qualify as successful.

Checked into my room at Columbia... 116th & Broadway will be my home for the next few months. Spectacular view from my room on the 20th floor. Took the bus to Target in Spanish Harlem for some shtuff. Walked 15 blocks with both arms full, making me completely defenseless, when a passerby decided to slap me in the face with his neck tie. A bizarre yet entertaining encounter. Velcome to Crazy Town Vitney!

2 comments:

  1. wahoo! so glad to get your first update. xoxo-bridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is awesome! a play by play...and of course you would get a shout out from some sassy singer!

    ReplyDelete