Saturday, August 27

BEFORE: Irene
Thanks, NASA

Target... almost as unbearable as snakes on a plane
 You would think the apocalypse was coming based on the scene in the grocery stores in Harlem.  Lines snaked through aisles in hopes of getting to the cash register before Irene made her debut. I lasted 3 minutes before I left a basket full of canned beans and beer in the middle of the store and walked out. I find that the contents of a shopping cart in preparation for a natural disaster explain a lot about a persons character. I can't tell you how many people were stocking up on frozen tv dinners and popsicles. Which seems like a genius idea... until the power goes out.

Line outside TJ's
The city has shut down. There are about 6 cabs buzzing through midtown. Even Broadway closed for the weekend... this is what a Sunday matinee would look like:

 Crowds are not my forte, despite my efforts to embrace the city and its inhabitants. After three months of 110% humidity, rats running across my feet in the subway, one too many jaunts through Times Square with millions of tourists, an earthquake and hurricane in the same week, I feel like I put up a good fight, tried New York on for size, but it just didn't fit. Don't get me wrong, summer in the city was a blast, but I miss my mountains and ability to disappear into mother nature's most fabulous creation, without seeing a soul. They don't call Montana The Last Best place for nothing. Pretty bummed to sit in my apartment for my last weekend in the city... thanks Irene for sending me out in style!
Good thing I'm a Lactard
  So here I sit, waiting for le storm... over 2 million people have been forced to evacuate, and the subway system was shut down for the first time ever... It is currently pouring rain and windy. In about 6 hours, it will be a different story. And of course there are tornado warnings as well... the world might be coming to an end after all.  I'll report the after math manana. Wishing I had a surfboard...

I'll be wearing this when I get off the plane. Happy weekend!
Do they know the difference between a tornado and a hurricane? (Getty)
Why I'm moving back to MT

No comments:

Post a Comment